Fp GSMA is a waste case after all (IMO)

Glad to hear you got that worked out, and come to think of it, particularly that you did so before the line was in "airtime expired" for a whole month and presumably would have switched over to "closed."

I guess that confirms that their new app-plus-webview process has some kind of device compatibility issues going on.

I should probably try to get the hang of Bluestacks, in case there are things it can do that Windows Subsystem for Android can't.

Linux has Waydroid, but while it seems to run okay inside one of the Wayland compositors that can run inside X (such as Weston), getting it working at all is an adventure and getting it running when you're still not really happy with leaving X yet is even more of one. I did finally get a Wayland compositor setup I mostly like, but there are a couple of things that don't work well in it.

Also, at least one of the two - I think it was Waydroid - doesn't emulate a processor, so programs in the store that are only available for ARM won't install on an x86-64 computer.

It had occurred to me last night, in context of the fact that I think this part had already been clear:

...that I wasn't sure if you'd taken a look at the Boost One thread already and just didn't consider it worth the hassle.

As far as I can tell, the $10/mo online-order-only Boost plan still appears to be live; I got the impression somewhere they would be more likely to stop using T-Mobile for the sims bought in brick-and-mortar stores than to stop using AT&T for the ones ordered online; and it currently should still be possible to cover the $10 plan by checking in with their app every day and spending about five minutes letting it play ads at you...but whether the time and invasiveness that costs is worth it is certainly a matter of opinion; it only takes a few broken "streaks" to keep covering the bill from being guaranteed; and as with FP, it's more likely that they'll keep making it more difficult than that it will get any easier.

...Well, okay. In FreedomPop's case...I know there are a lot of people out there whose phones are their main or only window to the internet. I imagine some of those people whose devices didn't have any trouble with it would find the new process - even with the ads - "easier" than visiting the website on mobile.

1 Like